India

India

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Small Town Shopping In Pune!!

 Mundhwa

Dave was off to work with Digambar. Fighting traffic and camels!  : )


















So--- I was looking for some thing to do and an Indian friend (Preya) and her son Dahnahnjai invited me to go for a walk to Mundhwa.  

Preya and Dahnahnjai
She was going to buy an electric Chepate maker.  (she brought it back already and is making them by hand!!!!)  She kept asking if I was sure I wanted to go.  Well, of course I was sure!!  Then, she told me we would be going to the end of our street and through a hole cut in the metal fence! I had seen that hole and guys coming through it on many of the walks Dave and I had been on!  Hmmm....  okay, just a little short cut, that will surely add to the adventure!


Dead end road in front of our flat


Deb going through hole cut in metal fence to Mundhwa

View through hole in fence

















Once you hop through the hole there is a small temple for worshiping and blessings.  There is a bell hanging just as you walk up the steps that you ring out of respect to the Gods. 
Small Temple
Then, there is a muddy, dirty road with cows and water trucks being filled to bring water to the smaller villages.

Cows on dirt road to Mundhwa







Water truck just filled





















Finally, once you get past the dirt road you are in Mundhwa!!  A little shanty town that most people just drive through.  There are little stalls set up like you would find at a flea market!  I took Dave back there the next week end and we now spend at least an hour a week walking there!  We even bring our laundry there once a week.  I think the locals are starting to think of us as locals or just plain loco!!  There is a nursery, a tailor shop, small hand made Ganesh Temple, large Ganesh Temple, bakery, dentist office, doctors office, tyre station (tire), fruit stand and stall, vegetable stall, (I bought cauliflower and potatoes the other nite for dinner.  Cleaned them really well and they were delicious),  chicken and egg stall (not enough guts to buy any thing there yet), local market  (kind of like a 7 eleven with no Slurpee's!), 2 hardware stalls (we like to call them our Lowes and Home Depot!!), and the local notary on the side walk! 
Check them out!!!

Dave checking out the Nursery



Tailor Shop


Dr Office


Inside Dr. Office


Dental Clinic


Dave looking at Chickens at Chicken & Egg stall


Bakery


Tyre Changing Stall


Deb at Ganesh Temple


Home Depot!  : )


Lowes!  : )


Notary


Veggie Cart


Veggie Stall

















Fruit Stall



Hand made Ganesh at Temple






















There are other places to shop in Pune.  Bigger malls, more commercialized chain stores but nothing compares to the small town friendliness you get going to Mundhwa.

5 comments:

Natalie said...

What fun exploring! Glad you guys are so adventurous!

M'Liss & Anson said...

Debbie- you looked like Alice going down the rabbit hole and through the little gate...and finally arriving in Wonderland! I'm glad there were no snake charmers....shudder! I am not sure I would use that dentist, though, or the doc!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are finally finding things to do. It looks very interesting to say the least. I like the pottery place though :) As for the hole you have to climb through....I think you need to ring the bell on the other side to thank your lucky stars you made it! LOL Hurry home!!

Love & Miss ~ Lin & John XOXO

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the delay in posting to your blog. If you saw how long it takes to do anything on our computer you would understand!

I am most impressed with the fruit stand! Have you gotten fruit there? However, I think I will stick to my doctor's office and our Lowes!

Gabi wants to ride a camel!

Love, Tami, Greg, and Gabi

Anonymous said...

it looks like you are adjusting well....better than I would.

We so enjoy sharing your adventure with you both.....please be careful...can't wait to see you.


Love,
Michael &Vicki