India

India

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Indian Birthday Celebrations!

Office Birthdays!!

We have been in India since June and there have been a few Birthdays!!  In June, right after we arrived, we experienced our first birthday celebration.  There was cake, India burgers (Veggie, not meat) and poppers (confetti pops)!!  Very cool!! The birthday cakes are really interesting.  This one looks like a pumpkin but tastes really yummy! The June celebration was for Dorina, Jay and Atul


Jay, Dorina and Atul
 
Dorina, Atul and Jay







Dave watching the celebration


June Birthday Cake

Pune staff at celebration


Popper going off


Digambar shooting off popper





















In July the birthday's celebrated were for Tulsi and Jyoti.
There was cake on the day of their actual birthday but we were only in the office for Tulsi's birthday.  This cool cake for Tulsi lit up like a sparkler and was delicious!!!  It was eggless!  I never thought an eggless cake could taste sooo good!   Poor Tulsi took a beating with the frosting!!!  Made me a little weary about having a birthday in India!!! 

Tulsi cutting her cake


Dave and Debbie with Tulsi



Deb cutting cake for Dave
 

July birthday cake



Rakesh feeding Tulsi cake!
 



Dave enjoying birthday cake
  


Tulsi with birthday cake frosting!!!
 
















The end of the month was a celebration for all the birthdays in July.  Jyoti and Tulsi shared a cake and blowing out the candles. Also, the tradition in India is to feed everyone a piece of your cake, and they feed you a piece of cake.  It is to bring luck for the coming year.  Kind of like at a wedding in the US.  Only here in India, everyone shares in the cake feeding frenzy!

Tulsi and Jyoti's birthday cake


Tulsi and Jyoti birthday girls


 Jyoti and Tulsi blowing out candles

Tulsi feeding Deb cake


Tulsi feeding Dave cake

Dave waiting patiently for cake

Jyoti ready to party


The July Birthday celebration was also Traditional Indian dress Day!  The women all wore saree's and the men wore Kurta's with baggy pj bottoms.  It was really a great and exhausting experience to buy and dress in a saree.  I have never seen so much fabric to chose from!  Poor Dave and Digambar waited patiently while I looked at what seemed like a million saree's, but I finally found the one!

Saree shop



Dave and Digambar waiting patiently


Deb finally with the Saree purchased!
I thought I was finished!  Nope!!  I was told that now I had to have a top made and the saree lined.  hmmm...  I thought I could just buy a top ready made.  That is not how it is done here!  So----  off we went to  find a womens tailor. (Men and women have seperate tailors!)  This wonderful old Indian women, working out of a shop the size of a small closet took my measurements and made my top in one day!!  She only charged 90 rupees.  That is $2 US.  Incredible!!
Then, you have to buy jewelry to match your saree.  I had a necklace and earrings, luckily!!!  So--  after the tailors, we went to a bangle shop.  A couple doors down from the tailor.  We waited for 45 minutes and the shop keeper never came back.  Not quite sure where he went.  Jyoti went back the next day and got me beautiful glass bangles to go with my saree.  Only 100 rupees.  That is a little over $2 US.

Jyoti and Deb waiting for shop to open
I went back with a friend from Oakwood (sherrie from Texas) and checked out the bangle shop. Then, Jyoti took us out shopping, again!  Amazing!!!  There were goats checking out a dumpster, a Ganesh Temple and some cute little kids just hanging out!  I also met the cutest little girl that wanted her picture taken with me.

Kids outside bangle shop


Taliors shop


Millions of glass bangles


Deb with cute little girl


Deb and Sherrie in bangle shop


Lady at bangle shop


Sherrie, Deb and Jyoti near tailors


Deb, Digambar and Jyoti at Ganesh Temple

Goats checking each other out!!





















I have a whole new admiration for women that wear saree's every day.  It is a lot of work holding it up as you walk, and forget trying to go up or down the stairs!  The saree is very heavy, it is about 8 yards of fabric wrapped around you in a very precise way.  Pleated in just the right spots!   I'm still pretty sure I could never put one on by my self.  Dave on the other hand had it easy.  It is like putting on pj's!!
We took lots of pictures!!!  It was quite an experience!!

Dave in his office

Dave and Deb Indian dress day


Dave and Deb in Pune office



Dave and Deb outside Pune office
 

Tuldi, Deb, Dorina and Jyoti


Rakesh, Dave, Niten and Amod


Dorina, Deb, Tulsi and Jyoti


Pune office staff Indian dress day


Deb and Dave Indian dress day


Deb, Jyoti and Dave (Digambar peace sign)


Pune office staff


Pune office staff


Dave and Debbie Indian dress day


Deb Indian dress day with nose ring











Dave at Pune office in Kurta





















We also had a great lunch!!  Check out the Indian way to drink water from a bottle!!  I still can't do it without getting soaked!


Pune staff luncheon on Indian dress day


Pune staff eating lunch

Jyoti drinking water

















 Then...my Birthday!!!!  I celebrated my 55th birthday here in India!  Double nickle as Dave likes to say!!  I was really sad at first.  I was missing home and knew that no one would be able to call me.  I decided to go to work that morning and help Dave with some computer work.  Not long after we arrived, the office staff came in with a cake and flowers and... sang to me!  It really made me feel special.  I was still a bit nervous about the frosting on the cake after Tulsi's birthday!  Luckily--- we just ate the cake!  : )  As you can see, the tradition of feeding cake for good luck was carried on!

Birthday surprise at Pune office


Deb and Dave Pune Birthday party!


Debbie Pune birthday party!


Jyoti feeding Deb birthday cake


Tulsi feeding Deb birthday cake



Dave feeding Deb cake

















My birthday weather was pretty rainy here in India, it is monsoon season after all, so after work we decided to go back to our flat and order room service.  On the way home we were looking for an elephant or camel for me to ride but no such luck.  It was just to wet!  So----  as Dave has promised me a trip to the Taj, I will ride an elephant there.  Once we got back home and settled in, the buzzer rang.  The hotel staff had been waiting for us to come down and since we didn't, they sent up a beautiful chocolate birthday cake.  Now I had 2 cakes!  I think India wants me to put on some weight!  HA!

Before we left the US in May, I went to a card reader in Colorado.  A birthday gift from my children and grand children!  Very interesting and fun! No visits from past relatives but lots of good advise for our trip here in India! 

I also received two really nice gifts fron friends here in India. A really pretty pearl bracelet and a beautiful shawl.  These are 2 gifts I will always treasure!

I have been carrying around a gift bag from my sister Lin since I got here in June!  I finally got to open it!!!  Thank you Lin!! The cutest after shower wrap and turban!  : )  hmmm.. I wonder if she thought I might need the turban in India!  First I have to figure out how to put it on!


I have to say, the best part was talking to our kids and grand children.  We really miss Gabi and Finley, so having them call and sing Happy Birthday was awesome.  Finley sent me a picture and Gabi baked me a cake!  Gabi said the cake was very good!! : )

Birthday cake from Gabi



Finley sent to India a picture of his hand!


Gabi singing Happy Birthday
















On Sunday Dave took me out to Lunch at Darios.  Our favorite pizza place.  Yes, we did walk there!  It took about an hour. The good thing is with all that walking we could eat all the pizza we wanted!!

Darios sign


Debbie and Dave eating birthday pizza

















Then, off to the Sohum Spa!!! Dave was not thrilled as you can see!!

 
Spa sign!

Dave getting ready for massage (not very comfortable)


Deb very happy to get a massage!!  : )






















Then, Hard Rock for Dinner!!! Had some good old nachos!!!


Dave out front of Hard Rock Pune


Deb out front of Hard Rock Pune


Hard Rock Pune

I had a wonderful Birthday in India!!  The only thing that could have made it better....  would be my kids and grand kids being here!!!

6 comments:

Natalie said...

So fun to see the bday traditions! And I love your saree! So neat!

Tami said...

Hey what happened! I posted a response to your blog and it disappeared! Anyway, like I just said. You guys looked so cute in your Indian dress! Thank you for sharing your birthday pictures. I am glad you were taken care of for double nickle day! We love you.

Tami, Greg, and Gabi

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your adventure! Love, Aunt Trudy

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are making the best of things there and educating me along the way. HA! Can't wait to see you in Nov.
Love & Miss ~ Lin & John XO

Prachi Sharma said...

Cakeman is One of the best Choice for Birthday Cakes in Amanora Town, we provide best Engless Cake Delivery in Amanora, Birthday Cakes, Rainbow Cake,Red Velvet Cake, Anniversary Cakes, Custom Cakes in Amanora Town.


Unknown said...

Nice Blog.
Midnight Cake Delivery in Amanora Town